Paper is made from renewable materials (tree fibre) and recyclable, BUT its production is very energy intensive, uses vast quantities of water and bleaching agents. It's no sustainable silver bullet!
We have published an extensive article on this subject here.
If you do use paper (and we do ourselves), be very selective about how and why. First ask yourselves;
- Do you really need those layers of tissue paper?
- Does it really need to be white paper or could it be unbleached?
- Does it come from FSC certified sources?
- Can you use recycled paper? And if so, is it FSC certified recycled?
- Does it contain PFAs? If it’s being used in contact with food, it may have Per- and Poly- Fluorinated Alkyl Substances PFAs added to make it moisture/oil resistant. PFAs are ‘forever chemicals’ and are in the process of being banned by countries around the world